Friday, June 20, 2014

Kings Canyon National Park

Over the last weekend, I went on a camping trip with my family. My brother, who lives rather far away from me now that I am in LA, also attended for one night. I was so pleased and excited about him being there, that I woke up at around 5:30 AM, while he was still asleep, built a fire and grilled a steak, a pound of bacon and four eggs to share. The whole thing took about an hour and a half, including the time to get the fire to the right level. I have no pictures of that, but it was one of my favorite parts of the trip.

I also did a bit of trout fishing along the South Fork Kings River, but only ended up catching a couple of small Rainbows, which I put back. I was hoping to catch a larger fish, because fresh trout is my favorite camping treat (forget s'mores).

The canyon was absolutely gorgeous - I had had no idea this park was so beautiful. I took more than my fair share of photos, and I'll put a few of my favorites below.





This fawn was bedded down beside a log along the path to Muir Rock, a huge rock especially suited for use as a diving point for river swimmers. 





I love this picture of the leaping scrub jay. Another lucky shot - I was trying to snap a picture of him on the edge of the log, but he had other plans. It turned out that they worked well for me, too.



Parts of the canyon wall had moss, which gave them a wonderful mosaic look.

I've made it one of my life goals to visit every national park in the United States. I can't wait to see what else I find!

No comments:

Post a Comment